- This event has passed.
Summer Foraging (Houston) pt 2
August 12, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm$75.00
PLEASE NOTE THE DATE BEFORE YOU PURCHASE YOUR SUMMER FORAGING TICKET (Aug 12)
You do NOT need to have taken part 1 to do part 2. That’s just our way of letting you know it’s different plants than part 1.
Duration: 4 hours (9am – 1pm)
Location: Spring, TX at the Spring Creek Nature Center (1300 Riley Fuzzell Rd, Spring, TX 77386)
SUMMER FORAGING taught by our nationally recognized expert, Dr. Mark “Merriwether” Vorderbrugen.
Class starts promptly at 9:00 am and ends at 1:00 pm.
This course is LEVEL 1 of 3 for the region. Once you complete all three levels, you may test out with us to become SPEAR Survival Wild Edibles Certified.
20 SPACES MAX, minimum 15 students required to move fwd with class. If that number is not met at least 1 week prior, we will refund everyone’s course fee.
Dr. Merriwether is one of the foremost experts on wild edibles foraging in North America, and the creator of Foraging Texas, a website dedicated to foraging in Texas. He’s also the author of “The Idiots Guide to Foraging” which is an absolute must have for the serious student. This course covers topics such as:
- Foraging ethics, etiquette, techniques and benefits
- Historical medicinal uses for certain plants (as available by season/environment)
- Nutritional value of certain plants in a survival scenario
- Common methods of preparation for various plants
- How to find more info & resources on foraging wild edible
**NOTE** – If you are paying for more than yourself to attend, please include ALL names of persons in your party, so that we add them to the class roster.
Items we highly suggest bringing to Summer Foraging class:
- Bug spray
- Appropriate clothing for hiking
- Good hiking boots
- Hat, sunglasses, handkerchief
- Pen, pencil, paper, fully charged phone/camera
- Any medication you may need